Sunday, June 1, 2008

How Do Nonprofit Executives Use an Executive Coach?

After 30 years experience as a CEO and having my own coach most of those years, I've learned a lot about the art of coaching a nonprofit CEO. To specifically answer the question of how nonprofit executives use an executive coach, it makes sense to start this discussion with my own experience.

Very quickly after I became a CEO/Executive Director for the first time, I knew that I was in over my head and that I needed help. I reached out to several colleagues who provided resources, consultation and referrals that were extremely helpful. (For my bio, visit http://www.coachjudynelson.com/.)

In my second stint as CEO, it became rapidly apparent that I needed more than just a variety of colleagues to assist me. I was in a new state, a new county, a city, a new neighborhood--and a new job that required an intimate understanding of state and county regulations and systems. It was also so big that a GPS was absolutely vital--only GPS was not invented back then! Very quickly I knew that if I didn't have some personal support, I wasn't going to make it.

To my great good fortune, I was referred to an experienced human resources expert who was freelancing. From the moment we said "hello," on the phone, I knew I had found someone I could talk to. After our first face-to-face meeting, I knew that I could trust her completely--and, that she was not only an intense listener but someone who could help me translate an abundance of creative thoughts into strategic action.

Since that time, I have never been without a coach, including now as an Executive Coach and Management Relationship Trainer. (More information about my services at http://www.coachjudynelson/.)

The relationship with my first coach (although she never called herself that) lasts to this day although the formal connection ended when she changed her career focus over 15 years ago. Since then I have engaged four other coaches with different strengths and experience--and learned valuable new skills and insights from each.

There are several coaching techniques that I personally found extremely helpful. Today I will discuss the first technique, one that I found invaluable.

1) Sounding Board (or a "hired ear")
The art of what I call "extreme listening" is a talent and expertise rarely found in either the business or nonprofit worlds. The coach skilled in extreme listening actually does what all the books say about listening and much more: paying full and undivided attention; listening to understand, never to judge; integrating body language, emotions, tone and pitch of voice; asking strategic questions at the right time; incorporating context and timing issues; interrupting only to clarify--and most of all, providing truthful, objective feedback--the good, the bad and the ugly--but with a caring and respectful demeanor.

A CEO of any organization gets occasional (or worse, constant!) uncaring, negative feedback from employees--if she/he gets any feedback at all, other than the covert signals sent out by those who are disgruntled. What a CEO rarely, if ever, gets is caring but unvarnished truth about his/her behaviors, attitude, style or performance.

In those times when I have not had a coach available to listen extremely, I'm confident that my work suffered because of the lack of a bright, knowledgeable and attuned kindred spirit to not only listen but to reflect with me and challenge non strategic thinking.

Next time, I will discuss the second aspect of coaching that was so vital to me: Personal Accountability.

I welcome your response and ideas on this subject either here or to Judy@CoachJudyNelson.com.

Best,

Judy

http://www.coachjudynelson.com/
Judy@coachjudynelson.com
Tollfree: 877.yesJudy (877-937.5839)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely on target with this post. When you're new to a job, company or city, you are really vulnerable. Confiding in your new "friends" can be hazardous to your career.

I tell my own clients, "An investment in a coach might save your job. How much do you earn in one month? If a coach keeps you on the payroll even one month longer, what's the value of your investment?