Saturday, August 16, 2008

Personal Coaching Client reveals "The Most Important Things I learned Thus Far..."

As an Executive Coach, I have become both a teacher and hopefully, a successful practitioner of the art and science of Feedback. However, it's rare for most coaches to receive unsolicited feedback in written form from a client.

Sara (not her real name) wrote to me this morning about "The Most Important Things I Learned Thus Far...," describing the insights she developed over the first year of our coaching relationship. I want to thank her for this thoughtful and unusual gift.

In this series, I will explore each item on her list in depth, to comment and expand on her thinking. The embellishments will be mine alone. The goal is to give others an unusual look into the world of personal coaching and what can be gained.

Below is the list she provided: (To protect her confidentiality, I have changed identifying information.)




The Most Important Things I Learned Thus Far From Judy


  1. Be interested rather than trying to be interesting.
  1. “Small Talk” is really “Big Talk” that is important to the needs of relationships.
  1. When we get a negative response from someone it usually isn’t “about us.”
  1. Stress makes people stupid.
  1. Be gracious at work at all times.
  1. Making a “stupid mistake” doesn’t mean that I’m a “stupid person.”
  1. I may be intimidating to some people by my tone of voice and formality. I need to make a point of being less formal.
  1. “Dress-down day at work doesn’t mean dressing like I’m going to be working in the garden.
  1. I can soften my appearance by mixing and matching outfits rather than wearing suits everyday.
  1. (I could also wear makeup every day but don’t want to bother with it!)
  1. Meditation is a good way to relax and rejuvenate. (Unfortunately I stopped when I got the puppy.)
  1. Using a labeler and keeping files in order is extremely helpful.
  1. It would be good to compliment people when they do a good job, just as many people are doing to me here.
  1. The goal of calling a [a prospect] is simply to find out if there is a match.
  1. If someone I call ... is unpleasant, it isn’t about me because they don’t know me.
  1. View Vice Presidents or wealthy people ... as being like our Vice President or my millionaire friend...
  1. I should just tell myself before a call to [a new prospect] that even though I may feel very intimidated, once I get into the call I usually relax and do very well.
Most Important Ones Are #1 and #2.
Footnote from Judy: I am pleased to report that Sara has "graduated" from coaching and decided to take a break--"because I learned what I set out to do." However, I am on call to her for emergencies and she indicated that she may want a "refresher" sometime down the road.

The next article will start with far from original but important idea of "be interested rather than trying to be interesting."

Until next time,

Judy
Judy Nelson, JD, MSW
Certified Professional Coach
http://coachjudynelson.com/

To order your advanced copy of my new book, "Leading the Way to Success," with co-authors Jack Canfield, James Kouzes and Warren Bennis: orders@coachjudynelson.com.

Check out this brief video about Executive Coaching or the others on my website.

No comments: